What’s an eSIM? Well, just like a traditional SIM card, an eSIM stores the data your device needs to use the EE network. But, where you insert a SIM card into your device, an eSIM is downloaded directly on to your device.
Here’s how to set up your eSIM, and how to configure your Samsung Galaxy with two SIMs.
Which Samsung phones can use eSIMs?
You can use an eSIM with most new Samsung Galaxy devices including the S21, S20, Z Flip Fold and Note.
These phones are also Dual SIM meaning they have two SIM slots, so you can have two numbers and two different plans on the same phone.
If your device is unlocked, you can also use a dual SIM phone to:
- Use a foreign SIM and your own SIM at the same time if you're travelling abroad
- Use the same phone for two different numbers on separate networks, like for a work and personal number
How can I get an eSIM for my Samsung?
It's easy to order a new or replacement eSIM pack. You can do this by:
You can also get a new line for your eSIM if you want a second number, or you can order an eSIM pack for your existing line that you currently use with a physical SIM.
How do I set up an eSIM on your Samsung?
You’ll need an internet connection to set up your eSIM.
If you’ve been sent a paper QR code, scan it and the information stored in it will allow us to add the eSIM to your phone safely and securely.
To set up your eSIM line with a QR code:
- Go to Settings > Connections > SIM card manager and then select Add Mobile Plan
- Select Add using QR code and take a picture of the QR code on the eSIM pack (your camera will automatically open) - confirm by pressing Register > OK
If this is a second SIM for your phone, you'll have the option to assign a name and icon for each number on your phone and choose what numbers/plans are used for your data and voice messages.
Can't scan the QR code?
Don’t worry, if you can't scan it you can manually add the information contained. When the Add mobile plan screen is open, select Add using activation code.
The activation code is a single sequence of:
- The unique 32-digit activation code found on your eSIM pack
So, if your activation code is ABCDEF1234567890ABCDEF1234567890, you’ll need to enter
Setting up your phone if you're using two SIMs
You can set up a Samsung Galaxy Dual SIM device with a combination of:
- Two physical SIMs
- A physical SIM and an eSIM
- A MicroSD card and an eSIM/physical SIM (except for the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip)
Each SIM will have a different number. If your device is unlocked, you can also:
- Have two SIMs on different networks (for example for a work number)
- Insert a local SIM if you're travelling abroad
- Managing what number to use for calls, messages, data, voice and apps
If you're using two SIMs, you can set up which SIM your phone uses for:
- Making and receiving calls
- Voice features
To choose the lines/numbers are used for calls, go to Settings > Mobile Data > Default Voice Line / Mobile Data.
Your phone will warn you if you attempt to make a call from the non-preferred SIM.
You can’t have two active calls at the same time, If you’re on the phone and you receive a call to your other number, that incoming call will go through to voicemail. You can set calls to be forwarded from one line to another.
Data, voice and messages
You can choose what SIMs and phone plans are the default for data, voice and messages. Just go to Settings > Connections > SIM card manager.
With Dual Messenger you can create duplicate applications for messaging applications, like Skype or WhatsApp, for each number. This option can be found in Settings > Advanced features > Dual messenger.