You can use 4G Calling anywhere on the EE 4G network.
You’re probably using it already without realising – look for the 4G indicator at the top of your screen when you're on a call.
With 4G Calling (also known as VoLTE), when you make or receive a phone call, your phone will stay on 4G. That means you can use data at 4G speeds even when you're on a call. The big benefit is your internet doesn’t slow down on a call. Using Google Maps on hands-free? Your maps will stay superfast.
You can move seamlessly between 4G Calling and WiFi Calling, even while you’re on a call, so you can stay connected in more places than ever before.
Calls over our 4G network are crystal clear between compatible phones.
Call in more places
We're expanding our 4G network to cover 95% of the UK by 2020. So you’ll be able to make calls in places you couldn’t before. Check 4G coverage >
Who can get 4G Calling
To use 4G Calling, you’ll need:
- to be in an area with 4G coverage
- an EE pay monthly or business 4GEE plan on one of these phones:
- Apple iPhone 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, SE, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus or X
- Google Pixel, Pixel XL, Pixel 2, Pixel XL 2
- Sony Xperia XZ1, XZ1 Compact
- Huawei P10, P10 Lite, P10 Plus
- HTC U11
- BlackBerry Dtek 60, Dtek 50, KEYone, Priv
- Nokia 3, 5, 8
- EE Hawk
(Note: please check when buying a phone from a non-EE retailer, as we cannot guarantee phones bought from third parties will support 4G Calling)
- or on one of these phones bought directly from EE in-store, online, or through our business sales or telesales teams, and not through another operator or retailer:
- Samsung Galaxy S8, S8+, S7, S7 edge, S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+, Xcover 4, A3 (2017), A5 (2017), J5 (2017), Note 8
- Sony Xperia L1, XA1, XZ, XZ Premium, X, XA, X Compact, Z5, Z5 Premium and Z5 Compact
- Microsoft Lumia 550, 650, 950, 950XL
- Huawei P8 lite (2017), P9
- HTC 10
- LG G6, G5, G5 SE, X Cam, K8 (2016), K8 (2017), K10 (2017)
- the latest software version on your phone:
- iOS: Settings > General > Software Update
- Android: Settings > About Device > Software update (the exact software update menu option may vary by manufacturer)
- Windows: Settings > Update & security > Phone update > Check for Updates
Can’t find the update option on your phone? Get help from our device guides >
Sorry, but you can’t use 4G Calling yet if you're on pay as you go, T-Mobile or Orange.
About 4G Calling and roaming
4G calling will work while you’re roaming and you’ll still be able to make calls over 3G and 2G as normal.
Costs and data allowances
There's no additional cost for 4G Calling – it's included in our pay monthly and small business plans. Calls and texts come out of your monthly allowances as normal.
Anything beyond your allowance is charged at standard rates.
How to switch on 4G Calling
For most phones, you don’t need to do anything to switch on 4G calling (also called voLTE).
4G Calling works automatically on all compatible Android and Windows phones running the latest software.
For all compatible iPhones running iOS 10.2 or above, 4G Calling is set up automatically.
For older versions of iOS, you might need to take these steps:
- iOS 9.2: Settings > Mobile Data > Enable 4G
- iOS 9.3 onwards: Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Enable 4G > Voice & Data
- Large business customers require iOS 9.3 or above and Carrier File 24.1 or above.